Friday, October 15, 2004

Driving 500 Miles

I'm spending the weekend with my family for unknown reasons. In small doses I'm fine but when it gets to be more than five or six days, I have to leave. I should be fine since this will just be three days.

This morning I attempted to be up and ready to leave before 10am. The problem was that last night one of my friends, a girl who I dated, came over to talk about how her boyfriend just broke up with her. I guess there was some sort of a commitment phobia on his part, so he decided to shut things down. Anyhow, push came to shove and she stayed over at the apartment.

All fine and good because I'm a decent person and won't take advantage of someone who is an emotional wreck. The problem is that it made me sleep a little later than I wanted because we were up late talking. When I finally got up, washed clothes, and packed my bag it was more like 11am.

It takes about 6 hours to drive from Dallas to Wichita, Kansas. I'm from Wichita, so I get to make the drive often. I hit the road and decided that I was going to gun it most of the way home. I settled on the highway at a speed of close to 85 miles per hour. It took about six hours to get home with a couple longer stops.

There were some interesting things that I experienced on the drive. There was the bumper sticker that said, "My Parrot is smarter than your honor student" on a hillbilly's truck. Perhaps he has a very intelligent parrot or is fooled by the parrot's seeming intelligence. While eating lunch I was witness to a rather dramatic, and quite possibly faked, slip and fall. The lady sort of screeched as she hit the pavement while leaving the restaurant in her very clunky and cheap high heels. At a restroom a guy told me that you have to say "please" to the motion sensor paper towel dispenser. Also, I wasn't able to count the amount of University of Oklahoma football fans I saw driving from Oklahoma and Texas to Manhattan, Kansas. One car had four OU flags and an upside down Longhorns sticker.

All in all it was a decent drive home.


Comments:

Truth. All sounds plausible.