Friday, October 01, 2004

Timourous Me

It's not just a Ted Leo song, but also the story of my life.

Friday is my day without classes, so I'm able to run errands and do other work. Normally I will stop by Best Buy and check out some of the prices on new music and see if there are any DVDs that I want to buy. Most days, not unlike today, I leave empty handed. Most days when I'm there I see someone who catches my eye.

Today a girl walked by me in the DVD section who was wearing a "Have you seen this wizard" Harry Potter t-shirt and had a John Kerry button on the strap of her purse.

My attention was caught from those two things alone.

HarryKerry came over and was standing close, so I started to think of something I could say to initiate a conversation without sounding creepy. I know, I know, people usually don't expect to be hit on at a Best Buy. I do what I can to change norms.

She walked off, so I had to mysteriously end up in the same aisle as she was in a little bit later. This game continued for five minutes while I thought about whether or not I should speak to her. I knew what I was going to say, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Finally I saw that she picked up a copy of Alias, so I decided to speak to her.

"I noticed that you're a Kerry and Potter supporter; have you seen the Republicans for Voldemort T-shirts?"

She smiled, "No! That is really cool. Where did you see one?"

"I think they are sold online."

"That would be fun to wear, but I don't think many Republicans would get it."

"Me either. If they did they would just think mission accomplished."

She laughed. We ended up talking about Alias for awhile and the debate last night. I mentioned that Alias would have been more enjoyable, but I was glad that Kerry did a good job. Then I had to go because I needed to get home.

However, getting beyond the timorousness gave me a good excuse to get her email address. I told her I'd send her the link to the t-shirt and plan lunch or something.


Comments:

My guess is "lie." To me, the story sounded a bit contrived. But obviously I could be wrong.
I'd say lie...sounds too "smooth". ;)
If I'm not smooth than I don't know who is. ;)