Monday, January 10, 2005

Running the Loser

This afternoon I went out to White Rock Lake to go on one of my semi-annual runs around the lake.

I try to work out, usually by running, four or five times per week. Right now I don't have any aspirations of training for any competitive runs, but I do at times. I just like to go and run a couple miles. It usually gives me quality time to think about things, enjoy the evening or morning, and see my neighbors.

Usually it is nothing all that competitive. I do have a very strange thing about not liking other people to pass me when I'm actually running. For this reason, I keep a pretty fast pace.

The run around White Rock is much further than my normal run. It's about 9 miles. Actually, I've heard that it's between 9 and 12 miles, so I'm not really sure what to believe. There seems to be a few different paths one can take, so I guess that might cause some disparity in distances.

This evening a high school guy passed me in after my first few miles.

I was not about to put up with this; no way. I went after him and ran back in front of him.

Apparently he wasn't going to put up with this either, so he came and passed me with very little effort.

Grr.

This cycle continued for about 7 miles until he passed me as he ran to his car. I sit here before you a very worn out and broken runner. I remember why I don't enjoy going on competitive runs -- I like it too much until I lose.


Comments:

Law school is going to be miserable if you hate being wrong. :)