Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Cat Lady Below

I've moved, unpacked, hung decorations, and started the process of settling into my new apartment. In the few days that I've lived here, I've noticed no noise. I'm very happy that Fogerty didn't follow me to the new apartment, but I must be honest and admit that I was worried I would miss him.

Where else can you find a neighbor who is in his 50s, has thinning hippy hair, occasionally screams for no reason, smokes enough that it seaps into your upstairs apartment, and brings you downloaded music on a weekly basis? That's the sort of character everyone wants in their apartment community to make things more interestings. I knew I would sort of miss that...

I think that there is someone just as interesting two floors below me: The Cat Lady. I noticed when I was moving in that there were a couple bowls outside the door of an apartment, which I am fine with. Then I was hanging out on my balcony and looked below to see a cat looking up at me and another cat jumping off the balcony into the tree. Fine...Then I look around and see a couple cats in the creek, the other cat still staring at me, and the cat lady trying to herd these wild things.

A couple days later, I think that I've finally got a decent count on the number of cats. It's in the neighborhood of six cats. There might be more, but I can't tell which ones belong to her. However, I do know that she yells from the balcony at them a lot, there is a cat door that lets them come freely from the balcony to the apartment, there is a cat bowl across the creek in the pool area for when they are hungry from swimming in the creek or pool, and that she yells out "Kitties, I'm outta here!" whenever she leaves the apartment.

Does it beat Fogerty? I'm not sure, but I find it a little entertaining.


Comments: